
Rearden, J. (2005). Forgotten Warriors of the Aleutian Campaign. Missoula: Pictorial Histories Publishing Company Inc.
As I was walking through the Alaska Collection I came across a book called Forgotten Warriors of the Aleutian Campaign by Jim Rearden. I found this book very interesting as I learned about the book in High School.
This book is about the Japanese taking over the Aleutian Chain. On June 3rd and 4th, 1942, many Japanese carrier planes bombed Dutch Harbor, Alaska. Which then was a US military base. Many of the Japanese people decided that they were taking out the Aleutian Islands. The islands they started with were Attu and Kiska.
Many Alaska Scouts have their name in honor in this book.
George Bishop was an Alaska Scout and he shot his way out when he was trapped by three Japanese Soldiers.
Leo Land, also an Alaska Scout, survived in the stormy winter sea at Amchitka when a destroyer sank beneath him.
Raymond Conrad and Edward Bagby killed eight Japanese in 90 minute rifle duel. From this they both earned Silver Star medals.
I thought this book was very interesting because it happened to talk about the Aleutian Islands which is where I am from. If you ever come across this book, Please read it. It is very interesting, highly educating book.

No comments:
Post a Comment